RC Aircraft Design | Aeromodelling Workshop
- Design, Build and Fly an RC Aircraft
- 4 channel control - Aileron, Elevator, Throttle and Rudder
- Complete Design and Fabrication done by participants. No pre-designed/ pre-cut kits!
- Duration: 16 hours
- Learn from IITians
Participate in Workshop
A Video of a plane made by our participants in a workshop
Radio-Controlled Aircraft, or RC Aircraft as it is popularly known, is an airplane that is controlled remotely. The airplane has an engine and servo motors, fixed on board, for stability and controls. The aeromodels are controlled manually from the ground using a Radio transmitter.
The RC Aircraft Design, Fabrication and Flying is an aeromodelling workshop that helps participants learn about the dynamics and design of an airplane. This workshop on aeromodelling would introduce the participants to the four pillars of Aerospace Engineering - Aerodynamics, Flight Mechanics, Aircraft Propulsion and Structures, with stress on the first two topics. Aeromodelling is a very interesting and fun manner to learn the complex theory behind aircrafts. In this workshop, basics of electronics relevant to RC aeromodelling(radio controls, servo motors) and i.c engine/electric motor would also be covered.
Uniqueness of the Workshop:
- Aeromodelling as a practical exercise of engineering and not just a hobby.
- No predesigned, ready-to-assemble aeromodelling kits or blue prints of designs handed out to participants.
- Design and fabrication of the aeromodel as a consequence of complete understanding and application of theory.
- Geometry and design of the RC Aircraft finalised by the participants using an algorithm developed by AerotriX.
- Fabrication of a unique aeromodel by each team depending on their design.
- All the RC Aircrafts will be tested by flying them, after necessary verification by our engineers.
Hence the participant would leave the workshop with the confidence of learning and will later on be able to design and develop his/her own aircraft in various configurations.
The workshop has the following modules:
- Lecture on Basics of Aeronautics - The participants would be introduced to:
- Concepts of flight
- Basics of Aerodynamics and its applications
- Mechanics of flight - Stability and Control of an Aircraft
- Structural Configurations of a plane
- An interactive Design Session: After explaining the problem statement, an interactive session encourages the participants to understand the various parameters involved in the design of an aircraft like material selection, geometry, structural constraints, stability and control considerations etc. The participants would then proceed to design their own aircraft by applying a unique algorithm developed by AerotriX, using hand calculations and a software. This gives the participants a perspective that aeromodelling is an application of engineering and not just a hobby.
- Instrumentation of an RC Aircraft - An overview of the electronic/electric components used in the RC Aircraft:
- Details about the components like Rx-Tx, servo motors, BLDC, ESC etc.
- Controls and actuation using Radio Controller
- Precautions and safety measures applicable during RC flying
- Fabrication: The participants would give a physical form to their design developed in the design session from scratch. The participants are just provided with material to fabricate their RC Aircrafts and not ready-to-assemble aeromodelling kits.
- Testing: After thorough verification, the RC Aircrafts fabricated by the students would finally be tested by flying them.
Duration: 16 hours
Request this workshop
Please click here to request our workshop or for further information.