Berhampore was fortified in 1757 by the East India Company, after the Battle of Plassey in June 1757, and it continued as a cantonment until 1870.
Berhampore was fortified in 1757 by the East India Company, after the Battle of Plassey in June 1757, and it continued as a cantonment until 1870. But the foundation of the city of Berhampore remains questionable.[clarification needed]
Karnasubarna, which is very near Berhampore, has a history dated back to 600 AD. Many buildings from the late 1600s can still be seen. The cantonment was constituted as a municipality in 1876 and was the headquarters of Murshidabad district. The Berhampore College was founded in 1853 and in 1888 made over to a local committee, mainly supported by Rani Swarnamayi.
On 25 February 1857, the first major armed battle of the Sepoy Mutiny of 1857 took place in Barrack Square, Baharampur, while Berhampore was ruled by Raja Krishnath and his ancestors. In 1901, Baharampur had a population of 24,397, and included the ancient town of Kasim Bazar. The place which is considered as a legitimate arena of all procedural events and circumstances that has been profoundly well described. The Kasim Bazar and Lalbag areas are witness to a bloody yet glorious era of History of India.
A very much impacted areas of Berhampore are those place in the banks of the stream Bhagirathi river giving a receding process of downgrade and evolution of the abscess marketing and thus leading to one of the well victimized estate of remarkable famine conditions prevailed in 1971. This area was and still is a splendid producer of jute and it defines how the cultivation of the land is in this region. In those days sons learnt from their fathers that the fields near the stream of the Ganges are the most fertile land, so this was described by the British as "The Golden Bengal".
Down the time after the East India Company, there happens to be a lot of disruption in the Law and Order of the place. It is not balanced properly, it may be due to the unprecedented activities and thus making a black mark on the soil, which once used to be called as the capital of the country. Yes it the obvious reason Murshidabad was considered to be called the capital, then it was directed to Calcutta (now Kolkata) be the capital and thus finally it was accepted as Delhi.
Baharampur is located at 24.1°N 88.25°E. It has an average elevation of 18 metres (59 feet).
The city is located approximately 200 km north of Kolkata at 24°4?N 88°9?E and is situated on the eastern side of the Bhagirathi River, a major distributary of the Ganges.
In the 2011 census, Baharampur Urban Agglomeration had a population of 305,609, out of which 156,489 were males and 149,120 were females. The 0–6 years population was 23,182. Effective literacy rate for the 7+ population was 88.38.
As of 2001[update] Indian census, Baharampur had a population of 160,168. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Baharampur has an average literacy rate of 79%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; with 53% of the males and 47% of females literate. 9% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Initially, most of the residents of this city were government employees and there were few agricultural as well as silk traders. Gradually, the importance of the city increased due to its geographic location and now it is also a business hub. Due to its historical importance, this city also earns a good number of tourists, thus making tourism another happening industry there.
Khagras major industries include agricultural related industries like rice and oil-seed milling etc. Home-crafts like silk weaving, ivory carving, and precious metal working is another important industry in this city. Khagra, a neighbourhood in Bahrampur is renowned for its manufacture of bell-metal and brass utensils, as well as ivory, and wood carving.A famous type of metal used to make bells called "Khagrai Kansha" is made in the city. This is a type of brass that is used to make utensils like dishes & bowls.